Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Solicitors

I CAN NOT and WILL NOT be persuaded to give anyone money just because I am given hollow compliments that would be given to any female standing in front of them, followed by a sad story about how life sucks. Just because I'm a female, I am supposed to be incredibly empathetic and giving, sadly for them I am a cold hard you know what when it comes to those looking for a hand out.  Don't get me wrong... I've given an older gentleman a quarter at the bus stop to get a cup of coffee at McDonalds (well that's what he said anyway) and I've given $1 to a crazy woman when she needed a bus ride (but I drew the line when she started following me around like her new best friend, asking for gum and other things).  I know people have it bad and life does suck, but I have never in my life been one to ask for money... it pains me just to ask my parents for money.  I seriously have trouble just forming the words and pushing them out of my mouth, because I feel like a failure at life when I cannot support myself.  Therefore, every dollar I make is important to me because I have and will continue to work very hard to make them!  I am by no means well off enough to support all of those that ask for food and money in this city, even if I just give 1 quarter at a time.  Sadly to say I often times see the bad in people soliciting before the good.  Case in point:  the other day a gentleman walked into my place of work and I could smell the liquor on him before he spoke. Well, he could not speak English and I can't speak Spanish, but from what he was acting out and trying to tell me, he wanted food, or money for "food".  Really?!  You are going to walk into a place of business... an animal hospital... and ask for money?!  While drunk?!  Come on!  I understand that alcohol is an addiction, but I also understand that food in important for life.  So if you only have a couple dollars, it is not my fault if you choose incorrectly and are now out of money.  
I also wonder, if the solicitors are successful, does that just condition them to believe that this is a lucrative way to continue to get through life? Case in point: we have a gentleman who comes almost weekly (more often if there is something he needs to pay for) to the clinic to wash our windows, sweep the sidewalk, etc. if we will let him and we give him a little money for it.  So at least he is willing to work, however, last week he came and wanted to work on Thursday (and needed money that day).  We could not have him work until Friday.  My boss was kind enough to pre-pay him for his work (a larger amount than usual) because he needed the money and told him to come the next day.  Do you think he showed up the next day to do the work?  Nope.

Moral of the story:  Even though I look like a sweet little girl, I will not give you money or my take out food just because you asked.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I understand that alcohol is an addiction, but I also understand that food in important for life. So if you only have a couple dollars, it is not my fault if you choose incorrectly and are now out of money."

Ouch! Well said. I agree.