Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chicago weather, you beat me every time!

I need an instruction manual on how to dress properly for Chicago weather.  It would be helpful if the weatherman would tell me exactly what I need to wear or take with me for the rest of the day, especially as the seasons change.  Yes, I hear you when you tell me it is 55 degrees outside, but what I don't take into account is that a hoodie may not be warm enough, not when you live in the Windy City.  Quite often I end up like this:
Cold and unprepared!
I also don't take into account that just because I don't need a hat to walk around our neighborhood does not mean I won't need a hat downtown.  I forget that what is feels like/looks like in the morning is not what is going to be happening all day, or even 1 neighborhood away.  So quite often I find myself without an umbrella or gloves when I should have them. I am worse than a little kid.
I work 2 blocks south and 4 blocks east of our apartment.  I leave work and rain is spitting in my face and it is so windy that I can't even use my umbrella.  When I get off the bus 1 block from home, the sky is blue, no rain in sight.  Today it was snowing and super cold at work.  At home the sun was peeking out of the clouds.  This baffles me and does not help in my inadequacy of dress.
Maybe i'm just hoping I can stave off the cold by not giving in and putting a knit hat on.  I am not looking forward to this again:
Blizzard's are fun... for a short time.
I put a weather app on my fancy new phone, this will help me know what temperature it is at all times and what is coming up, but it will not call me an idiot as I rush down the stairs and forget to grab my gloves/umbrella/hat once again.

No comments: